Ascola is organized as a democratic association involving a General Assembly and a Board – including a Chair. The Assembly convenes each year. It elects the Board, including the Chair, of the Association, for a term of two years. The organization is described in a Charter.
The chair is currently Rupprecht Podszun – a professor at the University of Düsseldorf, Germany. He was elected in 2023 as the successor of Michal Gal (University of Haifa) who had held the office of President since 2016.
For more information on the history of ASCOLA click here.
The Board is composed of members elected by the members of the association. The composition partly reflects the geographic coverage of the association. Elections are organized on a regular basis. For these elections members can suggest applications.
Composition of the Board
Executive Committee as elected in 2023:
- Rupprecht Podszun (Düsseldorf), President
- Peter Picht (Zürich), Vice President for Finances
- Thomas Cheng (Hong Kong), Vice President
- Magali Eben (Glasgow), Vice President
- Giorgio Monti (Tilburg), Vice President
- Wendy Ng (Melbourne), Vice President
Members of the Larger Board (as elected in 2023):
- Zeynep Ayata (Turkey)
- Mor Bakhoum (Senegal)
- Thomas Cheng (Hong Kong)
- Fabiana Di Porto (Italy)
- Josef Drexl (Germany) (President of ASCOLA 2003-2013)
- Magali Eben (UK)
- Valeria Falce (Italy)
- Harry First (US)
- Michal Gal (Israel) (President of ASCOLA 2016-2023)
- Juan David Gutiérrez (Colombia)
- Vikas Kathuria (India)
- Wolfgang Kerber (Germany)
- Ioannis Lianos (Greece)
- Bjorn Lundqvist (Sweden)
- Francisco Marcos (Spain)
- Giorgio Monti (Netherlands)
- Wendy Ng (Australia)
- Paul Nihoul (Belgium) (President of ASCOLA 2013-2016)
- Jasminka Pecotic Kaufman (Croatia)
- Peter Picht (Switzerland)
- Rupprecht Podszun (Germany) (President of ASCOLA since 2023)
- Heike Schweitzer (Germany)
- Danny Sokol (USA)
- Masako Wakui (Japan)
The organiser of the annual conference is co-opted to the board.
In 2023, the ASCOLA Board appointed three Directors for special projects:
- Fabiana Di Porto (Salento) – Director for Best Junior Paper Award
- Jurgita Malinauskaite (Brunel) – Director for Mentoring
- Viktoria Robertson (Vienna/Graz) – Director for Scholarships
If you wish to join ASCOLA, please click here. If you wish to get in touch with the Executive Board, please write an e-mail to team [at] ascola.org or address the board members individually.
ASCOLA has appointed Regional Chairs. You find more information here.
If you wish to get in touch with the regional chapters of ASCOLA please address these scholars and try to follow the ongoing activities.
The General Assembly
The General Assembly consists of all members of the association. All members have a similar vote. No difference is made depending on origin of members, or the fee paid by them. As a reminder, fees are discounted for younger academics and for academics coming from lower-income regions. The General Assembly takes place in the course of annual conferences.
Are you interested in joining too?
Get more information here.